The Plainfield Park District owns and maintains approximately 250 Acres of naturalized Prairie. Illinois prairies were once a mix of numerous species of forbs and grasses. Today, undesirables such as Crown Vetch, Bull Thistle, Canadian Thistle, Teasel and Canary Reed Grass dominate our landscape.
- Burn every 2-4 years. Where warm season or native grasses dominate, a fall burn is preferred.
- Introduce desirable species of grass immediately after the burn.
- Unwanted woody plants that survive the burn should be removed mechanically.
- Treat remaining stumps/stems with a non-selective herbicide in order to kill roots and prevent re-growth.
- Use appropriate herbicides to kill herbaceous plants that do not respond to fire.
- Monitor the area, evaluate, and document results.
- Annual inspections for trash removal in spring. Visual trash is removed through the year.