After undergoing an $850,000 renovation over the past two years, a Grand Re-Opening for Eaton Preserve is set for 3 p.m., June 24 at the preserve, which is located at 23604 W. 135th St., in Plainfield.
The 75-acre parcel along the DuPage River received $400,000 in funding from the State of Illinois Open Space Land Acquisition & Development (OSLAD) Grant program for improvements in 2020. The four phase project began in earnest in 2021 and included:
- Pergola and barn frame on site of the old barn
- Silo roof and view access and lights
- Nature- and farm-themed playground
- Volleyball court with improved access
- Pollinator garden
- Scenic hill outlook
- River outlook
- Interpretive signage highlighting historical and natural significance of the site
- Benches along the path and improved access throughout
- Improvements to existing shed and main shelter
- Canoe launch upgraded to concrete access and area graded to reduce erosion
- Installation of two pollinator bee hives
- Path and parking lot resurfacing (coming soon)
A brief summary of the renovation will be given by Park District Director of Planning Bob Collins, followed by a ribbon cutting, light refreshments, and the opportunity to explore the park and its amenities.